Monday, July 10, 2017

the idea

Dust was sifting through the afternoon sunlight, and I was sitting alone in my room when the idea came to me. I think I knew then that I must've been too young to have come up with an idea like that. But my mum had told me I was smart, so it came as no surprise to me. Of course, she's also called the opposite of smart countless times, but I liked to remember the names I liked.
I went to tell mum right away She looked tired in her chair, but it didn't matter, cause I had come up with the perfect form of punishment. This peculiar kind of punishment would be to get to know other people. Mum looked at me funny at this, but I was delighted with myself and hurried to explain to her my idea.
Didn't she see? When you really get to know someone, you see all their ugly, mean parts that other people don't get to see. Sometimes you understand; sometimes you don't. But either way your stubborn heart finds stuff in them to like, love even. You learn to love them even when the dark takes over the light. But that's the good part. Cause every time you learn to love them-
They go away.
This would be the perfect punishment for anyone. I stood up straight and tall and watched my mums eyes do a funny, jittery, watery thing as she sat forward and still in her rocking chair. She suddenly pulled me close to her, onto her lap, and she was crying into my hair, whispering breathily almost as if to herself, "I'm never going to leave you, darling. I'm going to stay with you forever. Forever, do you hear me?"
But I just hid my smile in her tangled, matted hair, knowing our secret, that this must just be part of the game. And I was right, just as I always was. She held me for awhile, and then the moment passed, and, as she put me back down again, her eyes were distant, her face a blank slate. I went to my room and lay awake hungry, thinking about my idea in the dark.
And the next morning she was gone.

It would take a long time for me to figure out why mum wasn't excited about my idea and that the game wasn't really a game at all and even longer to understand that, sometimes, people stay.

18 comments:

  1. OH MY FREAKING GOSH

    OLIVIA

    KNIGHT

    I

    CAN'T


    How are you so perfect????? How is your writing flawless???? HOW DO YOU EXIST AS A HUMAN BEING I DON'T UNDERSTAND.

    You are the queen of writing and I will forever be blown away by you. I love you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THIS IS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!

    -Lia
    catholicgirlstuff.blogspot.com
    lilahsmusicals.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my goodness. Like...tears came to my eyes reading this. Umm, that was something amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the honestly amazing. Let me rephrase that-you are amazing!
    ~Mira

    ReplyDelete
  5. THIS IS SO FREAKING GOOD OLIVIA I'M SO PROUD TO BE YOUR FRIEND

    ReplyDelete
  6. I has no words for how much I love this and how much I want to read more of your writing. <3 When are you going to publish a novel?!?!?!

    xoxo
    Lizzy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I...I just.... I just love. This. A lot. (,:
    xx
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  8. OLIVIA!! OH MY WORD...your writing is IMPECCABLE!! Love it girlie!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. "It would take a long time for me to figure out why mum wasn't excited about my idea and that the game wasn't really a game at all and even longer to understand that, sometimes, people stay." DO YOU HEAR THE SOUND OF MY HEART BREAKING? </3

    (...but seriously your writing is absolutely perfect...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (PS I'm putting this masterpiece in the blog post you commented on, I hope you don't mind? :))

      Delete
  10. WHAT. WHAT. WHAT THE HECK. OH MY WORD.

    ReplyDelete
  11. AHHHHHHHHHHHH
    NO
    YES
    UM
    I DON'T KNOW
    AHHHHH
    THIS.
    I'm freakin out.

    Randy Abby
    WAKE ME UP Blog

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love how many curves this takes on. lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. well thank you for crushing my heart and stomping oN THE PIECES IT'S ALWAYS A PLEASURE OLIVIA

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are going to change the world. <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete